The Chemical Brain!!!

Friday, March 23, 2012

The Servant Leader

Few days back on my last working day in office. I was speaking to my team member and thanking them for being really wonderful team players and for helping me and the organization during tough and demanding times. After I was done with my farewell speech-  my team member started appreciating me for my style of working and the different opportunities I gave them and how it has helped them grow professional and personally. 


It always is a good feeling to hear good things about you. It was really heartening to see them appreciate me for freedom I gave them and never imposing myself on the, , which helped them think creatively and differently. I think this is one aspect which most of the people today miss out on as managers. Most of us, for most of the time never give the freedom to our co-workers to let them think on their own. We a always try and make people work the way we want. By saying this I am not trying to say what managers do is wrong- a lot of times its needed to make people do things in a certain way but not always. 
As we say in school " Be a guide on the side and not a sage on the stage"  


The other thing which my team mates appreciated me was the way I had handled people and anger and not getting upset even in worst of circumstances. Anger Management 101- You never get anything by getting angry, its an action with 0 positive outcome- the only thing it does is it hurts the other person, you lose the respect the other person has for you, it shows that you are not a person who can be confronted.
The only good thing that can happen by getting angry is you can get your work done! which is useful at times But in the long run it damages the relationship between you and the other person.


There was a time when I was "The Angry Young Boy"- someone who can throw and break things or can bang his own head against the wall.  It was nice getting that complement, I think matured over the years reflecting on my own behavior and actions and also modeling what I have learned from my friends and colleagues.


Later that week I was reading about leadership and came across this book" The servant leader by JAmes P Autry". The book as per reviews on amazon summarizes leadership as:


1. Leadership is not about controlling people; it's about caring for people and being a useful resource for people.

2. Leadership is not about being boss; it's about being present for people and building a community at work.

3. Leadership is not about holding on to territory; it's about letting go of your ego, bringing your spirit to work, being your best and most authentic self.

4. Leadership is less concerned with pep talks and more concerned with creating a place in which people can do good work, can find meaning in their work, and can bring their spirits to work.

5. Leadership, like life, is largely a matter of paying attention.

6. Leadership requires love." 



I am sure leadership is much more and beyond what is written here and I have long way to go. However, when I look at these points, I think I did all of them (atleast tried doing) and the appreciation and complements I recived makes me believe I fairly succeeded in practicing them as well. 


Thanks to my team for being my mirror!



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter